Sunday 19 May 2013

Burgos to Rabé de les calzadas ; Decisions and Unexpected miracles

I wasn't feeling too great in Burgos. It was pretty and everything but I got my first blister,(i'll call him Pedro) there was no wifi to be had and nothing was open on a Friday, I didn't get it. I had loads of plans but none of them worked out.

So the next day I decided to do a half day, 14 km to Rabé de las Calzadas. I would get up late and do the things I needed to do in the morning.

Sleeping late on the camino in a dormitory of 20 other people, two whom were snoring in symphony, is a difficult task. People seem to think that 6 am is the perfect time to repack the 8 plastic bags in their rucksack and talk and pretend to be deaf when their alarm goes off. Eventually it was me and one guy who was still asleep, or dead, he would have to be to sleep through the herd of elephants that just woke up and left.

I couldn't just sit there. So I got up and wandered around a bit until 8.30 and then just left. Staying after 8 pm seemed like such sacrilege. I just couldn't do it to myself.

So off I went, a lovely dry day to start and I walked fast to make sure I got enough kilometers out of the dry as possible. I passed Burgos university which had a very dilapidated feel to it but the little monuments for the pilgrims were dotted all over the place. It gives you a real sense of belonging when you see the shells hand painted into people's house names and the little arrow that points you onwards.

It was around the time I was passing under a big dual carriage way that I caught up with an American woman. She had just set out from Burgos and was already questioning if she was doing the right thing. She was going at a nice slow pace and I decided to stick with her to slow me down and give my knees a rest. I spent most of the time giving her a pep talk and she got the hang of it in the end. We had lunch in tardajos and then decided to stay in a beautiful little albergue in Rabé called Liberanos Dominae. I totally recommend it.

It was here in a little cafe that I finally found wifi and some very interesting news. My sister wants to come and meet me in Leon to walk for 5-6 days with me! Frantic texts later and it was done. She is going to meet me in Leon on the 21st of May and I am so excited.

Only the other day into Burgos I was walking with the Canadian sisters thinking how lovely it would be to walk with Siobhan for a while. I'm so excited and it has totally changed how I feel about this whole thing. I can't wait to walk tomorrow and he day after. It means I have to be a cheater one day to get a bus to Leon but its my camino and I can do what I want! Hahaha :)

Buen camino to all.

Xx grace




















1 comment: