Tuesday 14 May 2013

Dublin stop

I have a bit of a country bias against Dublin. They have services and good transport and events and Starbucks, it's not fair. They think they are so great with their efficiency and quality and expense. They also have this fabulous new (2 years old maybe?) terminal in the airport (with their generously free stupid WiFi) that the Air Lingus service has been moved to a few weeks ago.

It has the smell of new paint and the sense that they now have so much space they aren't sure what to do with it. We landed at the farthest corner of the new terminal and walked around and through at least six empty departure spaces. Maybe they saw me with my little red rucksack and pink rain jacket.

"Ah!" they said, "a camino pilgrim" and with a wicked gleam in their eye, picked the furthest gate from the terminal, "for exercise" I'm sure. (Gosh I'm very cynical)

I was fully expecting the worst when I was pulled aside at the security gate and got pulled aside. A man with a serious look on his face and an even more serious tone in his voice he called,

"Whose is this?"

I waddled over, shoeless and he looked up and asked,

"You just been on the Camino?"

Several things occurred to me at this second;

1. Do I look like I've already been on the camino!? I'm carrying an extra stone, not burnt or healthy looking (read - just getting better from burn) and my bag is way too full of things I'm sure are going to come in handy. (I'm beginning to regret the second pen and conditioner already)

2. He must get us all coming through this one terminal.

3. Wait, this just opened up a few weeks ago! There's going to be a lot of Irish people on the camino if he can already sense them by the shape of my bagpack.

And finally 4. This is really it. People are beginning to know what I'm doing. People who see pilgrims every day, who smile and help them in their way. Like this guy, who just pulled me aside to wish me luck and Buen Camino. He will be heading out next year, and he will be on the receiving side of his own kindness.

I'm excited to go to the gate, to see more pilgrims moving through all with the same trepidation with overfull bags and improper shoes.

I don't feel so alone now.

I feel like part of an us.

X

Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment