Sunday 19 May 2013

Decisions in Burgos

I have been coming across people with less and less intent to do the whole camino.

I think I have been pushing myself too hard. Doing 25 k a day is too much for me at this moment in time.

I have had my first scare and my first real thought about not finishing the camino. Even with all my preparation equipment wise I'm not ready physically. A lot of people are at the stage of injuring themselves so badly that they are going home. People don't like the weather, people are tired. Some are skipping the meseta, the next 10 days walking, because it is 'boring' apparently. There is a lot of pessimism and a lot of talk of quitting, and it is very catching. It's only day three but I miss everyone from my old camino, I miss my family and the instant access to wifi to call them or Facebook them all the time. I miss my boyfriend.

I haven't met that many people and haven't made such strong bonds yet so I technically could quit without too much heartache. There aren't as many English speakers here as last time so it's easier to not talk to people.

Then again, I could just do half days for a while until the rain dies down. I can't check the weather because I don't have wifi but I think someone said that it was going to be like this for 2 weeks. I could just slow down and take the time for myself. I will meet way more people like that and it will be better for my bones and my muscles. I don't need to rush to get to Santiago for the 5th or 6th like some. I am leaving on the 13th therefore I have 7 more days that I can spread my walk out over. I don't think I would feel good taking a true rest day until I absolutely had to. But I do think I can walk a little every day until I get my strength up to where the others are now.

It's a compromise, but the weather is really just tearing everyone down. This time I don't have my parents to spur me on. I only have myself, and I'm not very good at being my own motivator on things like this. So you guys have to help me.

Xx

Buen camino!

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor you and your feet....I'm willing you on from here. I've just realised that its less than 2 weeks and then I'll be on the Camino for the very first time, I haven't done that much prep especially not on road walking, so tomorrow I better get out there...the group are going to do 20km a day....hmmm its going to be interesting, also need to figure out what to pack...and get the Camino Passport, which I still haven't done, thinking I have loads of time! eeeks
    I'm loving the photos, keep them a coming, especially the ones of food YUMMY

    ReplyDelete