Wednesday 15 May 2013

Getting a good nights sleep on the camino

This is important, essential really and to all those who have written to me hoping to do it in the future.

There are five things you need for a good nights sleep in a room with 20 to 120 other people in it.

1. A good meal, preferably with wine. Will send you straight off to sleep, just brush your teeth, all that 'vino tinto' gives you black teeth. Apparently beer gives you a bad sleep, I wouldn't know because I don't like beer.

2. A sleeping bag - the lightest one you can afford with a sleeping bag liner for extra heat on cold nights, and just the sleeping bag liner on hot ones.

3. Earplugs - for the snorers, farters and talkers.

4. A headband that doubles as an eye sleep mask. This is SO HANDY for walking and keeping out the light when you are a nerd and want to sleep at 8 pm. I recommend bondibands, they are soft and don't hurt the eyes, also dry really quick and absorb sweat. The perfect headband.

5. An awareness that you are only paying €5-10 a night for a bed and shower. Don't expect too much but appreciate what you have.

Ps. Find a bed with a plug close by. This is the greatest gift known to man. This may come up again and again.

In less preachy news I just had my first peregrino menu meal and boy, it was beautiful. Fresh salad, fresh tasty paella with seashells and fish chunks the size of my face. This was enough in itself but then the third course came out, thin strips of perfectly fried beef seasoned perfectly with a side of massacred vegetables (couldn't be too perfect) with tiramisu to finish. With a basket of bread each and jugs of wine refilled when empty. All for €10.

I'm so full I could cry of happiness and filled up-ness. Yuuuuummy. Was almost a crime to brush my teeth and get rid of the taste of the beef. Yummmmy.

In all today I think I sent too much on food. But it's just SO GOOD! Curses.

Now it's off to follow my own instructions and go to sleep.

Xxx

Buen camino

No comments:

Post a Comment