Tuesday 28 May 2013

What to bring on the Camino de Santiago

Since everyone seems to have one of these on their Camino blogs and since someone asked me what I managed to pack into my tiny little bag, I think it's time I did one too.

To be honest it's mum who perfected the camino bag by buying a tiny little 25 litre rucksack. By doing this she restricted herself to just that space. Which is IMPORTANT. If you buy a big bag, you will fill the big bag. Just don't.

The first thing you put in is your sleeping bag. A lightweight one or two season SMALL bag that packs in tight. Then you put in your SMALL quick drying microfibre towel. Flip flops or sandals LIGHTWEIGHT. Then you have two other bags. Both should be dry bags with a zip lock or Velcro. Though Velcro is noisy for early morning moves.

Bag 1 - spare clothes, 1 pair of good quick drying socks, one piece of underwear, one long dress that folds up small and leggings. I put any electrical things in here too like my iPhone charger.

Bag 2 - Toiletries.

Soap flakes or a bar of soap. Though the flakes last longer than the bar of soap cause you use less. Can be used for laundry, body washing and shampoo so they say ... I played it safe and brought shampoo and conditioner. Small travel toothbrush and toothpaste. Deodorant. Comb.

Mobile Pharmacy.

Compeed blister patches, band aids, rolling bandages and tubigrip for ankle or knee support. Painkillers, anti-inflammatories, antiseptic cream, bite and sting cream, medical tape. Needle and thread. Nail scissors, tweezers, nail file - important for your feet. Vaseline for putting on your feet every morning to prevent blisters. KT or Kinesio tape for muscle or joint weakness and boy has it come in handy.

What I am wearing walking

Cold - underwear, quick dry tshirt, long sleeve polo neck thermal top (lightweight) fleece, lightweight rain jacket (kind of wish I just brought a poncho and fleece instead of the rain jacket) leggings, walking trousers that zip off to shorts, other pair of socks, runners, neck warmer and peaked hat for sun and rain.

Warm - hat, sunglasses, tshirt, walking trousers with the legs zipped off, socks and runners ... And lots and lots of suncream.

Around my middle I wear a belt bag with my valuable documents and things I need straight away like lip balm and suncream or my phone for taking photos. This is waterproof as well.

Other things
John Brierley's "A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino de Santiago" or maybe just the maps version of the book.
Notebook and pen
Money purse
Small torch for the mornings
Earplugs for the hostels
Bottle opener

Things I picked up along the way.

- hydrocortisone cream for hands
- food for the day
- bottles of water (my water platypus died and wet everything in my bag so I don't trust them anymore)
- stamps and envelopes

Things not to bring

Jeans
Any more clothes than I already said you could. No second tshirt, no fifteen pairs of socks, no massive thick puffy body warmer jacket. Don't be silly.
A computer - get a smart phone or at MAXIMUM nothing larger than a mini iPad or kindle.
Make up - PAH!
Book - well you can bring this but be willing to throw it out or leave it and pick up another. And this is the first thing to go if your bag is too heavy.
Swimming gear - improvise with what you have.
More shoes - just don't
Anything fancy - it's going to get ruined, remember this, move on.

Anything else people can recommend?



No comments:

Post a Comment